Online Presence

When you look my name up, you see that I'm mostly involved with music sites. There's also a site that I'm not really sure about.

I think I used it once to find something, I don't remember now, but it's nothing negative. But then as I intensely investigated my name, I found out that I was once a student of the month. For the most part, all of my information, like my picture, is old. I've learned that you shouldn't have your info everywhere and post everything about yourself on the internet. We live in a time where others can find you pretty easily and it can lead to detrimental issues like not getting the job you wanted or being accepted into your university or college of your choice. Looking myself up, I was really nervous. I've had this kind of technology around me since I was really little. Anything could have came up. The most I put on the internet is my first name. I have a very unique first name. If you search that you find a DJ, that's pretty cool. Too bad it's not me. So then there are errors with just searching for your online presence. If future colleges and employers searched my first name they wouldn't be able to find me until never. I'm in the 3rd row for pictures, but that's a while for finding me even for my unique name. 
When I'm online, I prefer to be anonymous. I don't like everyone knowing who am I, how they can find me. That can lead to bigger problems, like predators that look for vulnerable people to prey on. I've heard plenty scary stories where someone has given too much information to someone they do not know. I went to this seminar once that was meant to empower young women for careers and life. It was local women who put it on and they all wanted us to be safe on the internet. Never meet people from the internet. That show CATFISH can always just go wrong and put the people and MTV in danger.
The bottom line is watch who you are on the internet. You might think no one is watching and your simple little comments mean nothing, but in reality, the world can see everything they do. And in my investigation, though it wasn't as thorough as it could have been, it's easy to find anyone. Even Waldo

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments: