The Perks Of Being A Wallflower I

The Perks Of Being A Wallflower is a book-to-movie by Stephen Chbosky. The translation to film is excellent because Chbosky was the one who directed it. I feel like any author with the chance of directing their own film should do it. Why? Because they have the vision of what the plot should look like on film. Not saying that all movies directed by someone other than the authors are bad. The Help is a great example of sticking to the book. I read The Help expecting something entirely different, but was pleasantly surprised when the book stuck to what I saw in movie, but the book was better. The book is always better. Essential evidence and information can be lost by only watching the movie. It can change the whole theme. Adding evidence and information can also change the theme of a movie and the purposes. It's sometimes alright like with Perks. I think that because Chbosky wrote the book and then was apart of the movie. As long as the author is okay with it.

To choose one scene that played out differently in the book and movie is hard for Perks. For his first film, Chbosky did an amazing job. One scene that sticks out to me is of course The Tunnel Scene. Spoiler alert.

In the movie and book, Charlie's best friends are off at college and he's left behind as he is now a sophomore in high school. The ending in the movie is long and drawn out. Charlie tells a lot more about life and philosophical thoughts. In the book he says he'll be too busy to write now as he will try to 'participate'  and then he gives his last word of "things are good with me, and even when they're not, they will be soon enough." In the movie, he speaks of his new life and how he loves Sam and going through the tunnel and the quote everyone seems to quote, "And in this moment, I swear... we are infinite." Nowhere in the end does he mention that. But it makes the movie more quotable and adds more emotion.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

1 comments:

  1. Good examples. I haven't seen "The Perks of Being a Wallflower" or read the book. I have seen "The Help" but I haven't read the book. I'm always wary of reading a book after I've seen the movie...not sure why. Especially since you say both books were better. Have you EVER found an instance where the movie was better? Have you seen & read "Water for Elephants"? That was definitely one movie I'd say was better than the book.

    ReplyDelete