Map of Brush Creek/Proposal

For the Foundations final we are to explore the historical creek nearby and make art and awareness of it. It's a very old creek, but has dealt with a lot of pollution and changes within each reach (parts of it) as it intersects the city. It has a very different feeling as you walk it, going from naturey in Kansas to industrial concrete on Ward Parkway to controlled in the Plaza and sort of a mixture of both as you go deeper into Missouri, however more dirty.

For our map we were to collect materials and such for our maps that we were supposed to make. For my map, I collected leaves from the various reaches, every three trees, collecting three leaves. I collected about 72-73 leaves Saturday, marking them with white nail polish and putting them in a bag to keep them safe. If I could change one thing, I would have brought something different to write on the leaves and I wouldn't have went on such a windy day. It slowed down the processes as I would have to stop and mark group all at once and hope they wouldn't fly away.




I then took a picture of each leaf and then cut them out of their white background via Photoshop and then pasted them on this poster sized image. I wasn't sure what color to do them in. I played around with black and white, the colors above with white background, and other colors. I'm still unsure of that, but I'm leaning towards  the white background with colorful leaves so I can save money and not use a lot of black ink.

I found it interesting how the leaves changed depending on their location. It made sense that the leaves on the Plaza were prettier than the leaves I found near the Paseo Reach because the Plaza is more manicured and is a shopping area whereas the Paseo is more urban and the trees are there not for looks per se.

For my second part of the final, I am thinking about inserting a video for every leaf where they were found since I marked them on a separate map. This is similar to the works of Sophie Calle and her having 107 women read the break up email from her ex. The videos were played simultaneously along with written responses to the email and other art. But for me I'd be focusing on the video side, making a video for where every leaf was found and then on the place where they art in the conceptual map, put the video there. However, for space that might be changed.

I also am bouncing around the idea of making a gif of the leaves I found just being on a plain white background, flipping through showing what they really look like with their numbers and illegible print from my inexperience in writing with nail polish. It's similar to those a picture every day artists that just take a picture of themselves everyday like Noah Kalina who did it for 12 years.

Another idea is just flipping to the leaf and the video of where it was found back and forth in a rhythm in a pattern. I don't know of any artists who show the object and show the location. But that seems the simpler form of the first idea and will be easier to look at than many videos at once either in the shape of the leaf or just rectangles.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment