Par Volllen (Altered Map)


The original source was a blank map of North Korea I found online. I used two maps originally, but with the blank one because there was a lot of information on the first map and there was no way I could easily substitute the information without the map getting really busy and overwhelming. I went with North Korea because there's a lot that we don't know about it. The officials and government there makes sure that we only see what they want us to see and that we don't know what really happens there. I altered it in Photoshop using the pen tool to cut out North Korea from China, Russia, and South Korea. After that, I made it look more like the other referenced map from Dragon Age of Par Vollen, a territory with a similar gaze as they only have one city of note that people know about but besides that, outsiders are not welcome. Since the original map was blank, I just put the information from Par Vollen on the map. The meaning is still the same since the cultures are very similar. I took the key from the busy map and made the compass myself in Photoshop.

This is the strongest piece I've done this far since I did it in a medium I am comfortable in and showed off my best. The things I would change would be the the bulky lines of islands that weren't able to be deleted for some reason next to the Northern Passage. My teacher suggested that instead of making the reference to Dragon Age so strong, but to make the reference to North Korea more apparent since it's now isolated from the bordering countries making it unrecognizable. But other than that, I am proud of this piece as it conveys a reality that many see as fiction that is real to others in the isolated dictatorship.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments:

Post a Comment